Choose language/选择语言 :3,657 views
The Indian Premiere Badminton League (PBL) is slated to take place in December later this year. The player auctions were done and teams were decided on Nov 9, 2016.
Here is the list of Top 10 costliest badminton players in the Premier Badminton League (PBL) of India:
1. Carolina Marin – Rs. 61.5 Lakhs ( 92500 $ US dollars) The Indian crowd seems to love the feisty nature of Carolina. The Olympic gold a Rio is an assurance of success to any team. This was a big factor on her becoming the costliest player this season. She went to team Hyderabad Hunters.
2. Sung Ji Hyun – Rs. 60 lakhs ( 90000$ ) Post Olympic, Sung Ji Hyun has been in terrific form. She played the final of the
Korea Open, had a tough fight with eventual finalist Tai Tzu Ying in the Denmark Open, lost out to eventual finalist He Bingjiao in the French Open. She was the second best women singles player available and rightly so she became the second costliest player too.
4. Srikanth Kidambi – Rs. 51 Lakhs (76600$) Won China Open 2014 beating Lin Dan, almost beat Lin Dan in Rio Okympic. This is how he earned his high price tag.
5. Viktor Axelsen, Son Wan Ho, Yoo Yeon Seong, PV Sindhu – Rs. 39 Lakhs (58600$) Olympic bronze medalist Viktor Axelsen could have earned more definitely, but he can be seen to be mentally feeble at times. PV Sindhu already bagged nearly 8 million US dollars in endorsements after winning the silver medal at the Rio Olympics. So this doesn’t matter to her as its just change in her wallet.
6. Lee Yong Dae – Rs. 37.5 lakhs (56300$) Retired recently, excellent chance is here to watch him again.
7. Saina Nehwal, Goh V Shem, Tan Wee Kiong – Rs 33 lakhs (49600$) Saina Nehwal was the costliest player in the last season. However due to her recent knee surgery, no team was willing to buy her. The Olympic mens doubles silver medalists were a little new to the Indian crowd.
8. Tanongsak S – Rs 30 lakhs (45200 $)
9. Tommy Sugiarto – 26 Lakhs (39000$) Even if he is not playing well in the circuit right now, he won against Lee Chong Wei last season.
10. Tan Boon Heong – Rs. 23 lakhs (34600$)
It must be noted that most of the Superseries winners (singles category) get only around 31000 $. That is only about one third of what Carolina Marin got from the auction. The payout from a Superseries Premier like the All England Badminton Championships is a little more. It’s about 52000$. But there are fewer Superseries Premier in a year. So the Indian Premier Badminton League hopefully will do good for the players and also world badminton.